I challenge you to answer the question “who am I?” before reading on.
Make a list of what you find identity in. What defines you? What defines your life?
Does your list contain “mother”, “daughter”, “friend”, or “spouse”? Does it include your profession? Did you list a sport or club membership? Did you note down character attributes or descriptions, such as: “intelligent”, “nice smile”, “failure”, “stern”, or “humorous”?
In what do you find your identity?
The above suggestions are all true attributes of earthly identities. But what of your spiritual identity; your true and lasting identity?
Do you wear royal garments? Are you a son of the King? Do you own the identity God has given to you? Are you a child of God?
This is the identity of those of us in Christ:
- A son of God (Galatians 4:6; Ephesians 1:5)
- An heir in the Kingdom of God (Galatians 4:7)
- Have an inheritance in the Kingdom of God (Ephesians 1:11-14)
- A friend of Christ (John 15:15)
- Saved (Romans 10:9-13)
- Slaves of righteousness, not sin (Romans 4:17-18)
- Dead to sin; alive in Christ (Romans 6:11)
- Washed, sanctified, justified (1 Corinthians 6:11)
- Holy and blameless before Him (Ephesians 1:4)
- Redeemed, forgiven (Ephesians 1:7)
- A new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- His workmanship (Ephesians 2:10)
- Temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 3:16)
- Sealed with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13)
- Blesses with every spiritual blessing (Ephesians 1:3)
- . . . and the list goes on!
Casting Crowns reflects on what Christ has done for us in their song “Who Am I?”. Here is the link to their song on You Tube: